- Natamycin (INN), also known as Pimaricin is a naturally occurring Antifungal agent produced during fermentation by the Bacterium Streptomyces Natalensis, commonlyfound in soil
- Natamycin is classified as a Macrolide Polyene Antifungal and as a Drug is used to treat Fungal Keratitis
- In China, Natamycin was approved as Food Preservative in 1996 and could be used in Cheese, Meat food, Guangdong- flavor-moon cakes, Cake Surface, fruit juices and easily-mouldy food processing devices etc.
- Natamycin is approved for use by the FSSAI / FDA and has been widely used in Europe for over 35 years. ADI (Acceptable daily Intake) is 0.0 mg. to 0.3mg/kg (FAO / WHO, 1994)
- IT IS THE Sole Antifungal food Bio Preservative approved in the world, which could infibits the growth of Moulds and yeasts broadly and effectively and is safe to Human Body.
- The use of Natamycin does not change the Nutritional value, Appearance, Flavor and Texture of Foods. Until now Natamycin has been approved as Food Preservative in more than 40 countries and applied widely in Cheese Meat food cakes fruit juice / sauce / salad, salted products and other foods.
- The residue of Natamycin is less than 10mg/kg.
- Animal studies on Rabbits Dogs and Cows indicate that Natamycin has no toxic effects even at high levels of ingestion. In addition Natamycin was found to have no reproductive or matagenic qualities.
- Natamycin extends the Shelf Life of the Food and save the Logistic Cost.
- Natamycin can successfully prevent the growth of potentially harmful Molds and Yeasts.
- Natamycin has no Color, Smell and Taste.
- Natamycin has no influence on Taste, Flavor, Color or Foodstuff. It has no adverse flavor to Foods (Unlike Sorbic acid which can impart a bitter taste.
- Natamycin has stronger inhibitability compared to Sorbic Acid.
- It has high efficacy at low concentrations, Replacement or chemicals preservatives. It does not act against Bacteria – unlike Sorbic Acid. This makes it useful for Food Products such Cheese and dry sausages in which Bacteria are key to the ripening process. It meets the consumers demand for food preserved with natural ingredients.
- It has extra safety for consumers due to no reported Allergic or Sensory reactions.
- It reduces product ( Food Product ) being recalled from Spoilage (and reduce manufacturing costs).
ANTIFUNGAL MECHANISM :
The Antifungal Mechanism of Natamycin could bind the sterols in the cell membrane and cause the distortion and malfunction of the membrane, whereby essential metabolites leak out and the cell dead. Without these structures (Metabolites), the fungal cells cannot sevive. However, Natamycin could not inhibit the growth of bacteria because it has no sterols exist in the bacterial cell wall and cell membrane. Generally speaking 1.0 mg. to 10.0mg./kg Natamycin is effective enough inhibit the growth of Mound and yeast, yet the application amount of Sorbic acid is 500 mg. /kg
Natamycin is nontoxic to human bodies and no any carcinogenesis motagensis or hypersensitivity reaction (HSR) was observed after its use. Natamycin could not be absorbed in mammalian alimentary canal No normal resistance of Moulds and Yeasts to Natamycin was not observed. ADI (Acceptable daily Intake) is 0.0mg. To 0.3mg. / kg.
Natamycin is deemed to e a GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) substance in USA, AND IS ASSIGNED TO BE THE NUMBER e-235 Natural preservative in European Union.
Direction and Usage :
- The usade depends on the number of viable yeasts Natamycin should be diluted 50 or 100 times with juice or wine before addition and then mixed with the juice or wine equably. Spray Naamycin 4.0 gm / Lit. Suspended solution on the surface of the meat or dip Meat into the solution, it can prevent the Mould.
- DIP THE piece of the Cheese.
- Spray on the surface of the cheese.
It chooses Dipping and spraying method the recommended usage is 5.0 gm / Lit. Natamycin suspended solution.
APPLICATIONS OF NATAMYCIN:
Natamycin possesses Antifungal activity to most all Moulds and Yeasts. The Activity of Natamycin is 500 times higher than that of Sorbic Acid, very little amount of Natamycin shows the antifungal activity.
Generally, the growth of most moulds and yeasts could be inhibited by 1.0 ppm to 6.0 ppm of Natamycin, only few moulds are inhibited by 0.10 to 25 ppm of Natamycin. The appropriate pH value for the activity of Natamycin is pH, 3.0 to 9.0 and it does not change the Nutritional value, Appearance, Flavor and Texture of Foods.
It is very adaptable to use as Food Preservative. But note that, Natamycin could not infibit the growth of Bacteria some of the applications of NATAMYCIN are listesd as follows:
- Cheese, Surface treatment of Cheese.
- Bread and cakes, baked foods
- Meat products, jam, jelly, marinated food, fish, chicken
- Salad sauce
- Soy sauce
- Fruit juice, drinks
Natamycin could ingibit the growth of Moulds at mature stage of Cheese and Inhibit the production of Toxins by the moulds Natamycin could only distribute the surface of the cheese, it has advantage to control the growth of Moulds on the surface and has not affect the maturation of cheese.
Three METHODS COULD NE USESD AS FOLLOW:
I. SPRAYING THE SUSPENSION OF Natamycin with 0.05% 0.28% on th surface of cheese
II. Dipping the salted cheese in the suspension of Natamycin with 0.05% to 0.28% for 2.0 to 4.0 minutes.
III. Mixing the coat of cheese with 0.05% Natamycin.
BREAD AND CAKES (BAKED FOODS)
Spraying the suspension of Natamycin with 100ppm to 500 ppm on the surface of Cake, Challah, Cik-ay –vebt or Pre- roasted dough which prevents and inhibit the growth of Moulds and Yeasts effectively.
Spraying of dipping the products in the suspension on Natamycin to 4ug / cm2, the Moulds and Yeasts could be inhibited effectively. Spraying (or dipping) the casing or sausage with 0.05% to 0.20 % (w / v) suspension of Natamycin, the shelf life can be extended effectively. Natamycin could be also used for the other meat products, such as Grilled- Meat, Grilled-duck, and Dried Fish Products etc.